Parish Meeting

Parish Meeting.jpg

Parish Meeting Navigation

Only the most recent blog posts are displayed. To read all events, click on a blog date and use the navigation controls top right to move to the next or previous blog entry. Or, use the Site Map.


Local Politics

The Parish Meeting is the lowest level of local government, but is perhaps the most democratic form.

Chicheley Parish Meeting is usually held in the Village Hall twice per year. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss matters of importance to Chicheley, and to report them to local and national government for attention.

  • The Parish Meeting is run by an elected Chair and Clerk.
  • Any person on the Electoral Register of the Parish is entitled to speak at a Parish Meeting.
  • Any member of the Electorate can ask for an item to be put on the Parish Meeting agenda.
  • Any matter pertinent to the parish may be discussed at a Parish Meeting.
  • The Press and general public have a right to attend Parish Meetings, but anyone not on the Electoral Register of the Parish is “stranger” and does not have the right to vote.

Chicheley is within the Milton Keynes Unitary Authority. It was part of Sherington Ward untilthe local election of 22nd May 2014 when it became part of the larger Olney Ward. Chicheley is represented on Milton Keynes Council by the three Councillors for Olney Ward, Keith McLean, Peter Geary and David Hosking. The Councillors publish a monthly article in theOlney Phonebox Magazinethat presents information on local issues they are addressing.

SCAN Magazineprovides additional information on local issues and events in Chicheley and neighbouring villages Astwood, Sherington, Hardmead and North Crawley.

Chicheley is represented in Parliament by the MP for Milton Keynes North,Mark Lancaster. His website, accessed via the link from his name, gives information on local issues, his activities and speeches in parliament.


Petition for public approval of Milton Keynes Expansion

Analyticsanana

Please refer to the post under “Chicheley Events” of 28th May 2018

https://www.miltonkeynesconservatives.co.uk/campaigns/future-expansion-milton-keynes-give-us-say

At all recent Parish Meetings, there has been concern over “secret” plans for a major expansion of Milton Keynes, including high-density urbanisation of the area between M1 Junction 14 and theNewport Pagnell toNorth Crawley road. i.e. right on the outskirts of Chicheley. New proposals brought forward development of this land that in the last year's Plan:MK was an option for housing development after 2031 if needed. It would require additional bridge(s) over the M1.

Our local Councillors and MPs have objected, and according to national press articles have blocked these plans for the time being. However, the issue will probably not go away that simply, and there is now a petition for residents to demand public approval for such a major change to Milton Keynes and its rural areas. Our MP and Councillors issues a joint statement:

"You may have noticed the ongoing media coverage of Mark Lancaster and Iain Stewart's pressure on the Housing Minister to drop the announcement of a huge accelerated house building programme in Milton Keynes as proposed by Labour-led MK Council.

Despite not having consulted or even discussed this major plan, local Labour leadership still appear determined to push ahead with this unsustainable, unplanned and untenable proposal. We have launched a petition which Conservative Councillors will present at the next full council meeting, calling on Milton Keynes Council to give residents a say on its plan to double the size of the city and surrounding areas in 30 years. YOU CAN SIGN THE PETITION HERE.https://www.miltonkeynesconservatives.co.uk/campaigns/future-expansion-milton-keynes-give-us-say

Below is a copy of the press release both Members of Parliament jointly put out on this issue.

Milton Keynes Council has been criticised for drawing up secret plans to double the population of Milton Keynes in just 30 years.

Just two years ago the Milton Keynes 2050 report suggested a figure of around 400,000 based on future economic and demographic demands, but the current Labour administration is pushing forward its plan to accelerate growth.

The plans are said to have been worked up by just a few Milton Keynes Council officers and the Leader of the Council. Plans were put to the Government suggesting there was wide support.

However, city MPs Mark Lancaster and Iain Stewart are furious they and the wider public were not consulted over such a big decision. Late last week, they made their views known to the Housing Minister Kit Malthouse.

Milton Keynes North MP Mark Lancaster said:

“I make no apologies for resisting Labour’s secret plans to concrete over rural North Bucks, and now that I’ve had the opportunity to express my concerns to the Housing Minister I do not share Cllr Marland’s confidence that he has the Ministers’ support for this scale of development within our own borders. I am, however, happy to work with the Council to deliver sustainable growth following our ‘I before E’ or infrastructure before expansion’ model.”

“Iain and I will always fight for more money, but we can't if we are kept in the dark. I look forward to receiving an invitation from the Leader of the Council to discuss this in more depth."

Milton Keynes South MP Iain Stewart said:

“We have over 20,000 new houses already approved and waiting to be built. Surely the focus should be on building these properly before rushing ahead with such significant accelerated growth.

“As ever, Labour have got this the wrong-way round again. The focus should be on business development and new jobs, then decide the housing and infrastructure needs. Rushing a deal together in just a couple of months, failing to take any stakeholders along on the journey, using the arbitrary population figure of 500,000 within our own borders, without any evidence to suggest that is the number we need is deeply concerning.

“I have long argued our future housing growth needs to be planned in the context of the Oxford-Cambridge corridor as a whole; and we must work with our neighbours to develop a plan for the future.”

Leader of the Conservative Group Councillor Alex Walker said:

“There has long been a convention at Milton Keynes Council that on the big ticket items, all parties will work together to achieve what is best for residents. Sadly, that seems to have been lost on this occasion.

“Such a big decision requires careful and detailed planning, while taking residents along the journey. This kind of accelerated growth will change MK beyond all recognition and will require far more than some new roads. What about hospital capacity, for example? What about all the homes neighbouring authorities are set to build too?

“Let’s get this right. As somebody still unable to get on the housing ladder, I know we need more housing and I know affordability is a real issue. But, I don’t want us to just be a housing ghost town, with dozens of identical new estates.r

Agenda for Parish Meeting on 11th October 2018


Parish Meeting Governance 2018


Parish Meeting Exemption 2018


Parish Meeting Audit 2018


Parish Meeting Interim Acounts


DRAFT Minutes of Parish Meeting on 18th April

Please note these are DRAFT minutes, and only become an official record after approval, with any necessary amendments, at the next Parish Meeting on 11th October.


Chicheley Parish Meeting & AGM Thursday 18th April 2018 Minutes

1. Present

Electors of the parish (19)

Chair: Robert Ruck-Keene

Clerk: Jo Parker

2. Apologies for absence

Cris Tarrant, Pat Townsend, Paula Blamires

3. Minutes of previous meeting

Approved (proposed by David Robertson; seconded by David Blamires).

4. Matters arising

• Tom Ruck has been appointed as the new manager at Chicheley Hall. The issue of directions and signage has been raised again.

• Bedlam Lane potholes are getting worse. MK Council say they are checking the condition of the road. All residents are encouraged to report issues via the MKC website.

• Chicheley Neighbourhood Watch now has a Facebook group.

• A demonstration of a new form of Speedwatch in Emberton was planned. If it is

satisfactory we will request the equipment for Chicheley.

• SIDS deployment was planned for the end of April in Chicheley. Data is sent to the

police and council. 85% of drivers are still in excess of the speed limit.

• Next meeting of the local Community Forum planned for 16 May at Emberton

Pavilion. Open to all but it is a public forum so private issues need to be raised with

the PCSOs separately

• Operation Drover underway, led by police in the rural area. 3rd operation due at the

beginning of May for 4 days. Sgt. Lucy Boddington was planning the approach, likely

to be ANPR and speed traps.

• Cyclists ‘bunching’ – PCSO Ormston’s summary of what she has been able to find out

has been circulated separately; all are encouraged to report poor practice if observed.

5. Ward councillors’ update – pended

6. Village engagement

Ian Townsend asked for suggestions for village activities and entertainment (e.g. clubs, events) to include more people locally. Suggestions and ideas for groups, clubs, further entertainment etc. to Jo or Ian please.

7. GDPR – Data Protection

New regulations regarding how your personal data is stored and used are coming in to force on 25 May. Please indicate if you would like to remain on the village mailing list if you have not done so already. Ian Townsend was thanked for his work on the village website (Chicheley.com).

8. Annual accounts

The accounts for the financial year ending March 31st 2018 were approved. Work to landscape the area at the top of Bedlam Walk was noted, as was the donation to South Central Ambulance.

9. Audit

a) The internal audit was noted and David Blamires thanked for his work. There were no issues raised requiring action.

b) The Annual Governance Statement was noted and approved.

c) The Annual Accounting Statements were noted and approved.

10. Future expenditure

The current bank balance stands at 735.09, with income of 550 expected from MKC to cover expenditure of approximately 500 (insurance, memberships, play area rent). It was agreed to make donations of 125 to the Village Hall and 50 to SCAN, and to discuss the condition of the noticeboard at the October meeting.

11. Election of Officers

The Chair and the Clerk were reappointed and thanked for their work

12. Any other business

• The quality of the broadband provision in the village reported as being awful – low and variable speeds, for many. Fibre is due in the village by the end of May. It is important to report any problems to your provider.

• There had been an attempted break-in in Hall Lane, which was disturbed in progress. PCSO Ormston had been round; all urged to phone the police immediately on 999 (in an emergency) or 111. This follows a burglary in Moulsoe, and an attempted break- in in Emberton.

• Bollards and pavement outside Chester Arms affecting safety and visibility – the Chair had spoken to the MK safety team, sending photos, asking for flexible bollards to be replaced.

• The layby opposite Brickyard Cottages was subject to constant fly tipping. The continuous clearing is presumably extremely costly, and it was suggested that fencing it off (maintaining some access) could be an option. The Chair agreed to raise with MKC environmental services.

• The Chair agreed to report loose kerbstones in Hall Lane, and to raise how to prevent drivers going over the grass between the road and garages at the pub. All were reminded to report any issues themselves via MKC website.

Date of next meeting

October 11th Thurs 8pm (earlier if linked with neighbourhood plan work)

The meeting concluded with a separate presentation about the Neighbourhood Planning process led by Diane Webber, MK Council, and Matthew Pearce. For further information, please contact Matt (mattpearce@me.com)

Chicheley Parish Meeting Accounts 2017-18


Parish Meeting Accounts Audit 2016