Sir George Farrar’s South African Home and Grave

IMG_8580IMG_8582







As described on the separate web page, Sir George Farrar was a “Randlord”, one of the key people who developed the gold mining industry in Johannesburg, South Africa in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.  He divided his time between Chicheley Hall, and Bedford Court in Johannesburg.  He was also a leading political figure and MP in South Africa.

Following his death in a train accident in South West Africa (Namibia) in 1915, on his way to fight the former German colony, he was buried with full military honours in the grounds of his Johannesburg estate, in the suburb of Bedfordview, Johannesburg.  

Lady Farrar sold Bedford Court in 1920 to Jean Fletcher, founder of St. Andrew’s School for Girls.  The school still occupies the property today.  www.standrews.co.za 

Two Chicheley residents, who have lived and worked at South African gold mines, visited Sir George Farrar’s former home and grave during a visit to Johannesburg on 21st November, and took these photos.

IMG_8555
IMG_8585